Here is the built-in closet project we undertook based on a hack we saw on the ikeahackers website.
The middle room, now going to be Anastasia's bedroom, originally had a built-in closet, which was demoed with the rest of the walls.
|The original built-in closet with trundle drawers.|
Below is a detailed explanation of the steps we took. I hope this is helpful to someone out there. Any questions, please feel free to email us.
|We stared by building a shelf. We only had about 27" total depth to work with, minus the 3" or so we needed to leave clear for the outlets/switch. It measures 24" deep by 87.5"long.|
|The electric was pulled through the frame, and light boxes were secured to the studs.|
|A 1/2" sheet of plywood was secured to the top, bringing the total height to 93 1/2" Drywall on the underside is also 1/2".|
|At 78 3/4" wide when closed, we knew we would have to place something along the sides to cover the gap. The pdf of the installation guide is here.|
|Marking the center of the top track.|
|There is a bolt and nut extending through the track securing the end-stops, which is preventing the track from sitting flush.|
|No worries! --a 3/4" wood bit does the trick. Now the bolt/nut sits in recessed, and the track is flush.|
|After tacking the track in with the two screws provided, I proceeded to drill four more holes for screws, figuring I would need the extra support--as Patrick too, noted in his hack write-up. (See above)|
|I probably would have chosen button-head screws over drywall ones, but nothing was handy at the moment of install...I may change them, or not...|
Holes drilled for lag bolts. And as you can see, there is not much clearance left for the outlet!
|Dry-fitting the door. It wound up a little sung on the right when closing, but this should free-up over time. Better this way, than too loose, me thinks.|
|Next step was to figure out the side pieces to close this gap.|
|A piece of 1X6" primed pine was ripped down to 5 1/2" and 5 1/4", as each side was slightly different. The bottom track is centered, but the walls are not 100% true to each-other.|
|Here is the look on the left.|
|I notched out the rail on both sides, as the bottom track is slightly shorter than the top track.|
|I "sistered" another piece of 1X6" pine to the inside, leaving a 1/4" reveal.|
|Gluing and nailing.|
|I added three hurricane ties to each side, securing them to the wall.|
|I used drywall anchors (Triple Grip # 8 1-1/4 Anchors with Screws from HD) and more of those handy drywall screws... I particularly like the TripleGrip brand, as the anchors come with a drill bit--no guessing on size, and the bit goes through masonry as well. Do not over tighten the anchors, lest you wind up with a spinning anchor, which has lost its grip!|
|Top track getting paint--two coats of primer and two coats of ultra-white semi-gloss Behr Premium from HD.|
|Lights nicely from the inside.|
|Bottom track completed.|
|Baseboard installed--cutout to fit around the curb.|
|The lights are LED Surface Mount Downlight Powered by JuiceWorksfrom SeaGull Lighting Unfortunately, they seem to be discontinued.|
|Ikea Pax Tonnes Asian-inspired cherry blossom designed by Mia Gammelgaard. Hacked by Chris and Polly. ;]|